Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day 10.2

I intended to walk again this evening, but just didn't make it.  I'm sort of OK with that decision since I did get in a trek earlier today.  I'm mentally exhausted today, and that really takes a lot out of you!  But I know that I could have done more, so I am mildly disappointed with myself.

I've done one thing every day for 10 days.  Actually, I've done more than 1 thing on most days.  Taking a half hour walk six days a week is a huge step.  It's a huge commitment.  And I'm fully aware that taking on some weight training as well is unthinkable to many.  It was for me when I first began in 2001.  I understand that may be too much for someone to take on.

Words of encouragement:  When I say, "I have to do one thing every day and make it a habit in order to change," that one thing could be any number of activities.  Here are some thoughts for those REALLY REALLY tough days (a.k.a. red zone):
  • replace a soda with a bottle of water
  • take the stairs instead of the elevator
  • park farther away from the office/store
  • take a break every half hour or hour to stretch your legs, walk around the building or hit the stairs
  • move your routine desserts or sweets up to 4pm or earlier
  • consider eliminating routine desserts or sweets every other usual time
  • if you don't usually eat a filling breakfast, then fuel up!  
  • replace sugar with a sugar/splenda mixture (I like this - I get a little sugar and don't feel cheated)
  • take 5 or more minutes in a quiet place by yourself, relax, breathe, meditate, pray
  • when you're at a restaurant, ask for a "to go" box when the food comes to the table.  Store away any extra food on your plate BEFORE you take the first bite.  I guarantee you'll avoid the temptation to stuff yourself silly
  • invite a friend to match your goals, check in with each other regularly and encourage each other
  • eat a cup of yogurt and a piece of fruit for a midmorning snack instead of hitting the vending machine
If you're not ready for the commitment of physical activity every day, then take a different baby step.  It won't be smaller or easier, it's just a different step, but a step nonetheless.  As long as you can commit to something every day, you're on the right track.  

You'll know when you're ready (if you're paying attention).  Trust yourself, trust your gut, trust your intuition.  No one knows you better than you know yourself! 

2 comments:

  1. i'm so proud of you for getting to Day 10! welcome back, xena, warrior princess:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for believing in me. I can't do it without you!!!!! -XWP

    ReplyDelete